Friday, March 16, 2012

The Ultimate Adventure: Packing My Life Into Two Suitcases and a Carryon

Packing is my least favorite thing about traveling. You'd think that after all the times that I've had to pack, I'd get it right. But, I still attempt to smuggle my entire wardrobe into a suitcase. You just never know when you'll need that red ball gown.

I've had a few hysterically funny (in retrospect) situations with excess baggage and over-packing. As some of you who have traveled with me can attest to, most usually involve my hair products. One story that illustrates my likelihood to prioritize hair products over pretty much everything else was on my trip to Italy with my friends Kristen and Jeff. After 10 glorious days in Italy, Kristen and I were headed to Jordan for another 10 days while Jeff was headed back to the States. I realized the night before our flight that because we were flying from Rome to Amman, I wasn't allowed the standard 70 pound suitcase that I flew to Italy with. Needless to say, Jeff entered the US with about 6 bottles of curl defining mousse and a couple pairs of stiletto heels.

Trying to pack for England is my ultimate packing nightmare. I have to consider the fact that I'll be living there for 6 months, but that I'll be traveling around and schlepping a million bags with me like a bag lady is not logistically possible. I've converted my guest room into "Packing Central" and as you can see, I have my work cut out for me.


I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that my 1 liter container of Aveda shampoo is not making the trip with me. 

3 comments:

  1. You have a mild packing/hoarding problem. Should we call it poarding or hacking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that what you don't bring is an excuse to buy there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember sitting on your suitcases as a kid to help you close them and then weighing them on the bathroom scale before your trips to jordan!
    angel

    ReplyDelete