Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The D


Before I leave my beloved Michigan for the next six months, I want to pay homage to Detroit - a city that has given me so much over the course of my lifetime that it's only appropriate to dedicate a blog post to it.

View from my hotel room at the Marriott Renaissance Center in December 2011

As a brief background to why Detroit means so much to me, I have to take you back, way back. Let's channel your inner Sofia Petrillo. Picture it, Germany late 1960s. You're in your 30s and had to leave your homeland almost 10 years ago because of political unrest and turmoil. You move to Germany because that is the only country that will take you. You go to school, study engineering and finally start to feel settled. You have friends, you start building a life, but something still is nagging at you. America. You've always wanted to live in America. Then one day you receive a letter in the mail. It's from the US Embassy telling you to report for your immigration interview. You think it's a joke. 10 years after applying, you finally get a green card. "Where should I go?" you ask yourself. You decide Michigan. Your brother just moved there and it is after all booming. Your brother tells you that people walk into auto factories and get hired on the spot. So that's it. You take a leave from your job in Germany and go to Michigan. On day 3 of your trip you get hired by General Motors and resign from your job in Germany. It's happened. The dream came true.


That's my father's story. He came to Michigan in the late 1960s and retired from General Motors after 33 years. The person that I've become is because of my parent's dedication but also because of the security and stability that my father's job provided us. It's safe to say that the Samira you know would not be who I am without the city of Detroit.


Detroit has gotten a really bad rap in the past few years. Most recently, Detroit's made headlines for its stray dog crisis and its dismal financial situation. But that's not the Detroit that I'll miss when I'm in England.


While I'm strolling the streets of London and Paris, I don't doubt that I'm going to miss that feeling of home. I'll dream of weekend visits to Eastern Market, concerts at the Fillmore and Fox, cocktails at Cliff Bell's and yes, even Detroit sporting events (I'm not the biggest sports fan, but I do enjoy a Detroit Tigers game once a year!) Here's what I ask of all of you Detroiters and Detroit-lovers. Enjoy it, embrace it, because there's nothing like it.


These are some of my favorite places in Detroit, but I know that there are a lot of you out there who have recommendations too. So, let's share! Post your recommendations or tips as a comment and we'll all benefit from our collective love of the D!

  • Eastern Market - There's nothing like strolling around Eastern Market on a Saturday morning with a cup of coffee.  
  • Cliff Bell's - Amazing cocktails, live music, and vibe that makes you feel like you are a flapper from the '20s.
  • Cafe D'Mongos - Also has that speakeasy vibe but extremely difficult to get into considering it's open only on Fridays.
  • The Old Shillelagh - Fun times and a Detroit classic.
  • Slows BBQ - The only place that I don't complain about waiting to get a table.
  • Centaur Bar - Great place to grab a drink before or after a show at the Opera House, Fillmore, or Fox. 
  • The Well - Casual and quintessential Detroit.
  • Bucharest Grill - Because sometimes you just need a shawarma sandwich. 
  • Astoria Pastry Shop - In Greektown and one of the best bakeries in my opinion. Ever.
  • Le Petit Zinc - Cute and cozy restaurant that has fabulous crepes and other light fare.
  • The Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) - If you haven't been, I'm sorry. Diego Rivera. That's all I'm going to say.
  • Motown Museum - A gem of a museum. The staff is so knowledgeable and you are reminded about the impact Detroit has on music.  

My cousin Nadim and I at a Tigers game in the summer of 2010
 


For those of us from Michigan, there is a feeling of anger that wells up inside when you hear someone bashing Detroit. Sure, there are some not so great things but what city doesn't have its pros and cons? For me, there are always going to be way more pros so I want all of you to enjoy the city while I'm gone and report back. Detroit IS beautiful, and it's not just in the eye of the beholder.  

3 comments:

  1. I'll add Xochimilco - great Mexican food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll add Avalon Bakery in Midtown, Polish Village in Ham Tram, and the Traffic Jam in Midtown - they make their own ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Samira,

    I really enjoyed the story about how your dad started working for GM. It brought tears to my eyes.

    Which of the above places have you taken me to aside from the museum? I know we went to a restaurant but I can't remember the name. Where did we end up eating on the night that Slows' wait was too long?

    Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete