Sunday, April 22, 2012

Shopping is the Best Medicine

I'm finally starting to feel normal again, after over 2 weeks of being sick. My cough is still lingering, but I'll take that over feeling like I've been run over by a truck and looking like a hot mess. Even though I'm feeling better, I still wanted to take it easy this weekend to prevent a relapse.

On Saturday, I decided to treat myself to a day of pampering and got my hair cut and colored. There is an Aveda salon a short 5 minute walk from my apartment, so it's just like I'm in Ann Arbor! Two doors down from the salon is a nail place so I also treated myself to a manicure/pedicure. As I was getting my toes done, I couldn't help but over hear the woman in the chair next to me speaking to her manicurist with an American accent. We struck up a conversation and found out that she's been here for 6 months working at the University of Leeds. She gave me a lot of great tips and it was wonderful to meet a fellow American.

After my manicure/pedicure I strolled over to Victoria Quarter, what I lovingly call the Somerset Mall of Leeds. Apparently, this is where all the footballer's wives hang out. Trust me, I had no intention of buying anything. I just wanted to window shop, maybe grab a coffee, and people watch. I got sucked into the Mulberry store though. For those of you Stateside, Mulberry is a brand of handbags and accessories from England that is slowly making it's way to the US. I was eying an adorable coin purse that my friend Marilyn has and because I'm carrying around 10 pounds of coins with me I figured that it was a practical purchase.

After that splurge I really had no intention of whipping out that Capital One Venture card again that day. But then, I walked into L.K. Bennett. Big mistake. L.K. Bennett is another one of those quintessential British brands and of course, I walked straight into the shoe section. I fell in love with these black patent leather wedges. Sigh.



Before walking home, I popped into a cute little Italian restaurant for some dinner and gave my friend Angel in Michigan a call in the hospital where she was in labor with her third daughter. Baby Evelyn was born yesterday and am so elated, but am also sad that I won't get to actually hold her or meet her for another few months.

On Sunday I decided that it was about time to experience some of the cultural activities in Leeds but I just couldn't get motivated. The art gallery is a 5-7 minute walk from my apartment, so I wanted to walk over and check it out. Instead, the most energy I could muster up was to go to the grocery store to pick up some groceries for the week. So, my attempt at educating myself on all Leeds has to offer will have to wait for another weekend.

I finally was able to plan some travel now that I've come out of my haze though. My friend Laurel is coming to visit in less than 2 weeks so we had a Google+ Hangout this afternoon to plan her visit. We're planning on spending one night in York, two nights in Edinburgh, and her last weekend here in Dublin. We're also going to be able to meet up with our friends Kristen and Phil in Dublin so needless to say, I'm extremely excited for the next few weekends.

Hope all of you are doing well and stay tuned for some pictures from my travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment